Sunday, June 29, 2008

Daring Bakers Go Danish!

Well hello, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to another Daring Bakers challenge! I was actually frightened when Kelly from the blog Sass & Veracity announced this month's challenge: Danish Braid. See, I joined the Daring Bakers after they did the croissant challenge, and I was actually glad, because I fear the flaky, crusty pastries. I don't know why, but they just make me really nervous. You know how some people feel really freaked out about using recipes with yeast, well I get scared with recipes that have anything to do with flaky layers. I don't know why, but maybe it's an internal fear of failing and having my dough come out flat or unflaky.

As you can see, mine came out just fine. More than fine, actually, it turned out FABULOUS! I was so proud of it, a little solitary tear came out of my eye. I just couldn't believe I did it! I thought that I would screw it up for sure, but it came out of the oven perfect. I was shocked!

You can find the recipe on Kelly's blog either in the Daring Bakers blogroll or in my own personal blogroll to the side. I suggest that if you do decide to make this Danish Braid, that you read the recipe thoroughly before starting out, set aside a day/day and a half for it, and follow the recipe exactly. The results are well worth the effort.


I made two different kinds: the standard apple, and then what I like to call a Red, White & Blue Braid (Raspberry, Cream Cheese and Blueberry). I made the apple one for my sister's birthday party, which was a murder mystery dinner called Murder at the Deadwood Saloon (SOOOO much fun!). I saved the other one for us to eat for breakfast as a little treat over the weekend.

We're right in the middle of our move up to Kodiak, Alaska, so if it seems like I'm scarce this next month or so, that's why. I'm really going to strive to not miss next month's Daring Bakers challenge, but forgive me if I do!! As of June 16th, all of our stuff is en route to Alaska, including our kitchen stuff. I might just have to commandeer my sister's kitchen for a weekend in order to complete July's challenge, so here's hoping!


Enjoy!

~Mehgan~

33 comments:

Shaheen said...

Gosh your braid looks so pretty

Anonymous said...

Really lovely braid!

Anonymous said...

your braid is making me hungry!! it lokks wonderful!

Sarah said...

Great job!

Robyn said...

Your braid looks great! Good luck with the move to Alaska.

Anonymous said...

Your braid looks so beautiful and delicious! Good luck with your giant move to Alaska.

Megan said...

I always wanted to do one of those murder mystery partys. Great braid!

Rigby said...

Your braids came out nicely! I love the red, white and blue idea!

David T. Macknet said...

Good luck with the move - and feel my envy, as you're at least moving to someplace with the same electricity!

glamah16 said...

Excellent work.Good luck with the move.

bonnie said...

wonderful!

Susie Homemaker said...

wow - yours look gorgeous! so jealous!

Elle said...

Mehgan, your danish are absolutely gorgeous! It is always a bit nerve wracking to see how it comes out of the oven, but wow! yours is really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous braids!

broadcasting from a knitting parlour said...

Nothing like a raspberry filling to make me drool. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Have to tell you yours are one of the best looking of the braids I have seen. Wish mine had been as pretty. Great Job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now that is wonderful looking Danish you have there!! Great job on the challenge this month.

Mary said...

Red, white and blue filling? Very cute...your braid looks fabu!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, Meghan! Great job!

Sandie said...

Red, white and blue, very patriotic! I'm sure it tasted good too.

Anonymous said...

Nice job.

Jen Yu said...

Mmm, that looks so fluffy and delicate - perfect! Great job on your braid and best of luck on the move!!

Anonymous said...

Love the red, white and blue braid, especially since it's so close to the 4th. Good luck with the move and the murder mystery weekend sounds like a blast!

Deborah said...

I hope the move goes well! Great job on this challenge - your braid looks delicious!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful braid...you had nothing to fear! :-)

Dolores said...

You have every right to take pride in your success here hon... your braid is bakery-worthy. Fabulous job!

Amelia said...

Beautiful braid! Hope your move to AK goes smoothly :)!

Lauren said...

Your braid is lovely! I love how much it rose, very nice!!

Anonymous said...

Looks absolutely delicious - your dough looks so luscious - man I'm hungry.

Lunch Buckets said...

Nice job! I wish I'd thought of adding glaze and almonds ;)

Renee said...

I can see the layers. Your braid looks so wonderful!

giz said...

Well done!!! I wonder - if everybody threw their danish in the centre of the room, would we each recognize our own?

Irina said...

that looks so fluffy! very nice done.