Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tastes Like Sunshine

The lovely Jenn over at The Leftover Queen (http://www.leftoverqueen.com/) is hosting the second Royal Foodie Joust, and I decided to participate. Last month's winner, Jennifer from ...and the eggs, got to choose this month's ingredients and they were eggs, honey and peaches. We had to invent a recipe using all three ingredients. At first, I had no idea what I was going to make, but I already had eggs and honey, so I picked up some peaches at the store and got to thinking about what I could do with them. I was talking with my brother and E, and they suggested pancakes (it must have been a long time since I made them, they sounded like they were really craving some good pancakes). Normally, I make pancakes using Bisquick (for shame!), but this time I decided to do it from scratch, so I looked up a few recipes for simple pancakes and got a general idea of how to configure them. Here's proof of my ingredients:


(Note: I was almost out of honey, so I used pretty much the rest of the bottle in this recipe, boo hoo! Oh well... back to the joust!) Recipe for Honey Peach Pancakes:


Ingredients:

-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour


-3 tbsp salt


-2 tsp baking powder


-3/4 cup milk


-1 egg


-2 fresh ripe peaches, peeled pited, and chopped


-2 tbsp honey


Instructions: In a small bowl, sift together dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until you get a nice batter. (If you don't want peach chunks in your pancakes, you can use a hand blender to really cream them into the batter). Grease a skillet with some Crisco over medium heat, pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls. (One thing I noticed that was different about these pancakes than regular pancakes is that they're done a lot sooner than you would think. They're not like typical pancakes where you wait until the tops bubble before you flip them. I flipped mine when just the edges started to bubble. It's tricky, but if you don't do this, they'll burn quite easy). Due to the use of the fruit and its juices, these pancakes generally have a more crepe-like texture, so be gentle when handling them.

I served these with a honey peach glaze. I put the meat of one peach, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and some maple syrup in a saucepan and simmered that over low heat for 35 minutes. It was the perfect topping and made it taste even better. I also cooked up some bacon to add some saltiness to the sweetness of the pancakes. What a lovely Sunday brunch!

Be sure to vote for yours truly at this link: http://www.leftoverqueen.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.15. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

~Mehgan~

3 comments:

CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

Oh...it looks so refreshing and delicious! Have a great week!

Dharm said...

Your pancakes look lovely! Its been a while since I made pancakes myself and I might just try this seeing how my son loves anything with fruit on it!!

Jennifer said...

Those pancakes look delicious and yummy! Good job!